Mobility scooters are an incredible invention, providing those with limited mobility the ability to stay active and maintain independence. As easy as it is to integrate the right mobility scooter into your life, it’s also important to make some wise decisions along the way. Once you’ve decided to make the purchase, something worth thinking about is insurance. Do you need insurance? And if yes, why? What does the insurance cover? If any of these questions have bothered you, look no further. In this blog, we will answer them all. But before we dive into all these details, allow us to answer the most asked question about insurance:
Is mobility scooter insurance mandatory?
The one-word answer is no, but it’s a wee-bit more complicated than that. If you’re taking on credit, buying insurance might be a requirement by your credit provider. Some health insurance companies, especially if they cover the purchase, may also recommend purchasing insurance for your mobility scooter. In such cases, even though it is not mandatory by law, insurance becomes an indispensable part of the purchase.
Irrespective of how you purchase your mobility scooter, it’s often a good choice to consider investing in insurance. Let’s explore the two key types of insurances for mobility scooters, the benefits you should look for, and factors worth considering when you file a claim:
Types of insurance for mobility devices:
Liability insurance: While a mobility scooter will not need an extensive liability insurance policy like an automobile, it’s worth investigating whether liability insurance is right for your needs and use case. The major factor to be considered is the location of use. If you are planning to use your mobility scooter strictly inside your home, the homeowner’s liability insurance might cover any accidental damages or injuries. However, if you are intending to use the mobility scooter in the great outdoors like most people, liability insurance might be the right choice for you. Life is unpredictable and accidents happen. Imagine backing up your scooter and hitting another vehicle by mistake, or accidentally rolling over another person’s foot on a busy roadside path. These situations can occur any time and if the other party tries to sue you for damages, your liability insurance can help you with that.
- Accidental damage insurance: Mobility scooters are expensive, and repairs can sometimes lead to stress for budgeting pros. Accidental damage insurance will help you with that. While most scooters come with a replacement warranty for some parts like the battery, a scooter can suffer accidental damage in multiple ways. The repair too could take several days sometimes. Accidental damage insurance could make sure that you do not have to put your active lifestyle on a hold when your mobility scooter is being repaired.
What insurance benefits should I look for?
Mobility scooter insurance could include a variety of benefits, including:
- Accidental damage repair: Mobility scooters are expensive and accidental repairs could cost you a few hundred dollars at a time. Damage insurance would include the repair option but might come with a cap on the extent of the repair cost. You must be familiar with the limit of your coverage to avoid any unpleasant surprises.
- Loss of keys: One of the benefits that you might want to consider negotiating would be a key replacement covered by your insurance. There’s nothing more stressful than losing your keys to your mobility aid.
- Temporary equipment: While it’s important to have the damage repair covered, it could sometimes take several days to have it repaired. Would you be comfortable putting your active lifestyle on hold? If not, ask your insurance provider whether your plan includes temporary equipment in case of repairs.
- 24/7 service: What if your equipment breaks down in the middle of nowhere on a Sunday evening? Do you have someone to call for help? Does your insurance cover 24/7 breakdown recovery service? These are some of the questions you should consider asking your insurance provider.
Other things to consider:
Coverage cap: Many insurance plans will come with a cap on the amount of coverage they offer, especially in case of liability insurance. We recommend going one level up from what you deem appropriate. That way, you’ll be at ease knowing that your insurance provider will take care of major damages, repair, or liability issues for your scooter.
Know your equipment: When speaking with your insurance provider, you’ll need to have details like the scooter make, model, purchase date, and seller along with your insurance plan number, type, amount, etc. Consider keeping these details easily accessible to speed up the claim process in the event of a theft or damage.
- Stay in touch with your insurance provider: Most people add accessories and customize the scooter to complement their style. These changes could sometimes cost hundreds of dollars. If you make these customizations after you purchased the scooter, we recommend reaching out to your insurance provider. Let them know about the increased value of your mobility device. In case of theft, your insurance provider may only offer the replacement or refund on the scooter value they have on file.
Selecting an insurance plan for your mobility scooter is an important decision. The information in this blog might help make the process simpler. Bookmark it and revisit whenever you need it. If you’re ready to purchase a mobility device, we are just a call or email away. Call us at 1-888-441-7575 option 3 or email us at [email protected] and our team will be happy to help!